I needed to run some ductwork to the second floor of this house. I found some good wall cavities to use on each side of this wall. The more drywall I removed, the more my butthole puckered. I think an angel was holding it up.
The ductwork had to wait while I got a decent header put in.
Rough plumbing and electrical done. Drywall is started. Drywall on ceilings is done.
The reason for the beadboard ceiling in the kitchen is because the ceiling joists were 2×6’s. These joists make the floor for the upstairs. Any drywall would have cracked under the amount of movement these joists would allow. The beadboard will be trimmed out with 1×4’s and will allow the ceiling to have some flex.
Working on a house with my brother. Took out all the windows and noticed one with a lot of rot. In fact, the 2 X 4 bottom plate was completely rotted out. It was just gone.
We didn’t plan on doing any siding work to this house but this needed to be looked at from the outside. So after taking off two layers of siding this is what it looked like. The rim joist was rotted out down to the foundation.
The bottom of the roof edge had no kickout flashing. The siding was aluminum so it showed no signs of deterioration. The water was able to flow behind the siding and after years of this it rotted the entire wall out.
I cut out the rot that I could get to, sistered the floor joists, and rebuilt the area with treated wood.
This was finished off with some sheathing, step flashing, KICKOUT FLASHING, peel and stick underlayment on the wall where the roof ends, and then tarpapered. It will be sided later.